The Miss Syracuse Ukelele (IW#002)


Among the many things that Syracuse has is a pretty amazing flea market every Sunday.  This has become the provider of a lot of parts and pieces for the instruments that the Instrument Works has been turning out.  This little beauty is a case in point.



I did not even know that there was such a thing as a Miss Syracuse brand cigar, but when I saw the beauty on the lid of this box I knew she had to have a voice.  I have never owned a uke before, and the box is just exactly the right size, so it seemed fated to be.  The neck is red oak that was part of a church pew from a local church, which gives her a mildly sacred presence, I think.  The box was pretty fragile, and I ended up taking it apart and gluing it back together, which made a huge difference in the sound.  Here is what she sounds like:

Comments