Residency

There is this great community center here called 601 Tully that is a combination gallery/cafe/meeting space/classroom.  It is pretty remarkable and has been created out of the ether in a building that was to be demolished by a pretty remarkable person named Marion Wilson.  One of my furniture design classes helped out a little with the cafe area, which is how I got to know her and the project.

Among the things that are part of the programming is the possibility for artist residencies, and Marion asked me if SCFOIW would be interested in doing one.  The answer, of course, was "yes!"  I started to move in yesterday, and am hoping to begin working there next week.  Part of my time will be spent making a part of the building "playable" using found objects, and I am really excited to get to work on it.  This will be the biggest cigar box banjo yet!  The culmination will be a recording of a group of people playing the building, and the installation/intervention that I make there will be a permanent part of the collection of the gallery.

I moved my back-up bench into the space and was asked to put up a poster that described what I do, which looks like this:

Looking forward to getting started!

Comments